Philosophy of Education

Philosophy of Education

I believe that meaningful education begins with trust, connection, and voice. As a teaching artist and educator with 15 years of experience working with Chicago’s youth, I’ve come to understand that the heart of learning is not simply the transfer of knowledge, but the cultivation of safe, relational spaces where students feel seen, heard, and valued. My work is grounded in the belief that every young person carries a story—and that story is worthy of being told, honored, and explored.

Over the years, my practice has evolved from a focus on rigorous technical instruction to one rooted in compassion, identity, and emotional presence. I place compassion over compliance and exploration over expertise. Whether through media projects like The Little Lamp Podcast or Humans of My School, or through abstract self-portraiture assignments, I aim to foster creative spaces where students can process their experiences and express them in their own way. I see my classroom as a sanctuary—where art becomes a vehicle not just for skill-building, but for healing, truth-telling, and growth.

When we engage students through their genuine interests—whether that’s AI, social media, animation, filmmaking, podcasting, photography, graphic design, fashion, or music—we unlock powerful pathways to learning. I empower and equip students with computer science foundations, Adobe Suite certifications, and fundamental video and camera techniques so they can express themselves with both creativity and technical confidence. My goal is to provide a high-quality, multi-modal education in digital storytelling that reflects the world students already engage with—while opening doors to new possibilities and professional futures.

Two signature student projects—The Little Lamp Podcast and Humans of My School—exemplify my philosophy in action. The Little Lamp Podcast invites students and their families to share personal stories of immigration. These deeply human accounts of courage, love, and resilience help students honor their identities and build bridges across differences. Through storytelling, students cultivate empathy and belonging—laying the groundwork for a stronger, more inclusive school community.





Humans of My School, a student-led photographic portrait series, is a celebration of identity, curiosity, and human connection. At the heart of this project is the belief that every face tells a story—and that asking thoughtful questions is the key to revealing the lived experiences behind each image. By empowering students to be both artists and interviewers, the project fosters dialogue and discovery. The camera becomes a tool for understanding, and the classroom becomes a space for honoring the layered realities, dreams, and emotions that shape each individual. Both projects are grounded in SEL principles and center youth voice as the catalyst for building trust, community, and school-wide wellness.

I believe the role of the educator is not to dictate truth but to draw it out—to support students as they uncover, articulate, and refine their perspectives. As Parker Palmer and Daisaku Ikeda write, teaching is a mirror to the soul—a space where vulnerability, character, and integrity matter as much as technique or standards. I strive to hold paradoxes in my classroom: structure and freedom, solitude and community, silence and speech. In doing so, I nurture environments that are both bounded and open, charged with possibility yet grounded in care.

Teaching, for me, is a generative act—one that shapes the cultural, social, and emotional landscape of our communities. I’ve led circles, coached educators, designed youth-led programs, and facilitated workshops across diverse spaces, always centering youth voice and emotional learning. Partnering with institutions or organizations with shared commitment to healing-centered education, where small group connections are treated with as much importance as content mastery. When students know that they matter—and when their interests and lived experiences are seen as assets—learning becomes both relevant and transformative.


My life as an artist is deepened by my work as a teacher. The tools I once used to tell my own stories now serve as bridges to help young people tell theirs. Whether using 21st-century technology or historical visual forms, we explore how art can illuminate truth and inspire change. When students find their voice and their tools—when Cubism becomes a lens for modern identity or a reel becomes a form of poetry—they move from receivers of information to authors of their lives.


 I believe that teaching is a radical, human act. It is an invitation to grow, to unfold, and to come together. It asks us not just to teach subjects, but to teach people. And it asks us, as educators, to keep returning to our own inner lives so that we may teach from a place of clarity, courage, and care.




Comments

Popular Posts